- Is the software emulation 100% compatible with the original TESSELATOR system?
It will be 100% compatible regarding communication protocol (ADLP-10, TOP)
and the display channel and other tertiar unit (TU) commands.
Some differences are that the TessEm doesn't support download of changed symbol libraries.
But additional or changed symbols downloaded from a host computer to a TESSELATOR 7000/8000/9000
system could be saved by the TessEm, with the Symbol Handling option, and be converted, edited
and added to TessEm symbol libraries.
- System requirements?
The TessEm7000 and TessEm8000 software products requires a standard
PC with the Windows 10/7/Vista/XP/2000 operating system.
More detailed system requirements is described in the data sheets which you can download.
See Download section.
- Which are the benefits to use TessEm7000 compared with TESSELATOR 7800
- Lower maintenance costs. By using standard PC equipment with the
Microsoft Windows 10/7/Vista/XP/2000 operating system the TessEm7000
has the ability to take advantage of the myriad of peripheral equipment available on the market from third party vendors.
Thus the user is free to select I/O devices such as monitors, keyboards, printers etc.
Easy to upgrade to low costs when new improved hardware/software is available.
Not related to one supplier of special hardware.
- Alive product. The software product TessEm7000 is continously updated with bug corrections,
improved with new features etc., compared with the TESSELATOR system which is not maintained by ABB anymore.
- Increased performance. Using the TessEm7000 in a standard 2.4 GHz PC gives a display update
rate up to 20 times faster than TESSELATOR 7800. Also faster communication speed with the host computer, asynchronous communication up
to 128.000 Baud, more displays stored in Local Display Storage etc.
For more detailed information see the data sheet in the Download section!
- What type of existing system can use the TessEm products?
- The TessEm7000 product can be used in ABB Master View 810/830, ABB AccuRay 1190, ABB DMS,
ABB Superview, ABB ALSY 225, ABB Transmission HVDC CAS or other systems using TESSELATOR 7800 products as graphic operator interface.
- The TessEm8000 product can be used in ABB Master View 810/830/850, ABB AccuRay 1190, ABB DMS,
ABB Superview, ABB ALSY 235, ABB SINDAC, Fisher & Porter DOC, ABB ALSY, ABB Transmission HVDC CAS or other systems using TESSELATOR 8000 products as graphic operator interface.
- Is there the any test version of the software we can evaluate?
Yes, you can download a stand-alone demo package (no communication with any host computer) showing some of the features. See Download section.
You can also request to borrow a complete TessEm7000 or TessEm8000 Field Test system. See information in the Contact section!
- What kind of support can we expect from you in porting our application?
The intention with the TessEm products is that the user shouldn't be forced
to make any changes in their host application. Just install the software in a PC, connect to host computer and the system should work in the same way as the old TESSELATOR system!
Of cause if we talking of new features such as LAN communication, windowing functions etc, then
changes has to be done to your host software.
Our company Newcon Data AB has the best knowledge of the TESSELATOR system in the world!
The people in the company have been working with the TESSELATOR products in over 36 years! As part of the development teams for all the TESSELATOR
models, the company has been doing additional development projects for example the windowing functions in the TESSELATOR 9800 system and
handling support and maintenance etc on the TESSELATOR system for over 14 years.
So if you have any questions or problems around replacing the TESSELATOR systems, we if anybody can help you!
We also do special software development tailor made only for you if necessary.
- Our PC has only one COM-port but we need to connect a keyboard and a host computer to TessEm7000!
A PC with only one or need for several serial port connectors can use an additional serial PCI card.
NOTE: For communication with the host computer try to use a built-in COM-port on the PC mother board, if available!
Configure the peripheral equipments such as keyboards, printers etc on the additional serial ports.
The following Serial PCI Cards has been tested with the TessEm7000 product:
- LAVA DSerial-PCI, PCI Bus Dual Serial Port board with 16550 UART COM Ports. See www.lavalink.com
- LAVA OCTOPUS-550, PCI Bus 8 Port Serial board with 16550 UART COM Ports.
NOTE: Must be revision "P.N.MOKO L81.1" or newer! See www.lavalink.com
- StarTech PCI2S950, 2 Port High-Speed 16950 Serial PCI Card. See www.startech.com
- NetMos 9835 PCI Multi-I/O Controller, The card is using a MCS9835 is a PCI based dual-channel high performance UART with enhanced bi-directional parallel controller.See www.moschip.com
- DeLock 89004 PCI card, 32-Bit PCI card with 2 serial ports and 1 parallel port which uses a 16C550 UART. See www.delock.de
Newcon Data AB has experienced problems using USB adapter together with the TessEm products.
Therefore we don't recommend use of USB serial adapters!
Despite that has one customer successfully used a USB-to-Serial Adapter from the company Belkin.
- Our existing TESSELATOR 7800 is using the built-in current loop modem to communicate! What to do?
Connecting an equipment for example MV 810/830, to TessEm7000 using the balanced current loop signal interface requires a short-range modem on the PC side.
The Westermo MA-12/MD-12 short-range modems has been tested with the TessEm7000 product.
For more information about the Westermo MA-12/MD-12 short-range modem, see www.westermo.com.
Detailed information about strapping and cables is also found in the TessEm Connections document in the Download section!
- Our host computer is using X.25 communication together with a TESSELATOR 8310. Could we use the TessEm8000?
The software product TessEm8000 contains a X.25 Communication option, which makes it
possible to communicate with host computers through the CCITT X.25/2 LAPB protocol.
The X.25 Communication option uses one FarSync X.25 TxU card from Farsite Communications Limited
with 1, 2 or 4 X.25 channels, each with a maximum communication speed of 8.448 Mbits/s.
- We want to display the information on 3 different monitors without any window frames! Could that be done?
The software product TessEm8000 contains a Multi-Display option, which adds support for one or two additional displays (screens).
By using the standard window type "Operator Window" the TessEm8000 windows is placed on top of all other application windows on the Windows desktop, covering the entire screen.
The only visible information is the contents in the TessEm8000 windows.
NOTE: The "Operator Window" requires a dedicated graphics chip driving each display (screen).
If more than one display is defined in the TessEm8000, more than one graphic card or a multi-monitor graphic card must be installed in the PC.
The "Operator Window" type is also standard in the TessEm7000 product.
- Using system standby modes on the PC.
The TessEm applications can sometimes have problem to access the USB license key
after that the PC has been started from system standby mode.
The problem is related to how the power for the USB slots is activated by the specific PC hardware.
If you experience this kind of problems for the TessEm applications together with your PC, we recommend not activating the system standby functionality!
- Using Aero transparency features in Windows 7 and Windows 10.
Customers have experienced problems with missing display information when using Aero transparency features in Windows 7 and Windows 10 activated together with the TessEm applications.
A slow CPU and low amount of RAM cause the PC to swap windows contents on hard drive sometimes.
Some of the messages sent from a MasterView 810/830, to display information on the screen, were then processed slower than using the original TESSELATOR 7800 system causing an
internal message queue in the MasterView to be full and a message was thrown away before sent to TessEm application in the PC!
If you experience this kind of problems for the TessEm applications together with your PC, we recommend not activating the Aero transparency features!
- Is the entire ABB MasterView 810/830 system replaced by the TessEm7000 product?
The TessEm7000 software product installed in a PC replaces the ABB TESSELATOR 7800 display unit(s) (part. no. DSID 78xx) in the MasterView 810/830.
It also replaces the hard copy option available in the TESSELATOR 78x5 display unit(s) (part. no. DSID 78x5).
By using the PC Keyboard option the PC keyboard and mouse can be used instead of or as a complement to an existing functional ABB keyboard and trackball.
The part of the MasterView 810/830 system containing the 19" rack with circuit boards like DSPC 171, DSCA 114, DSMC 112, DSCA 125 (Master Bus 200), DSCS 140 (Master Bus 300) etc must still be used for the communication with the process equipments!
- Which part of the MasterView 850 system is replaced by the TessEm8000 product?
A MasterView 850 system consist of two 19" racks with circuit boards.
Rack 1 (upper) contains boards like DSMB 151, DSAV 110/111/112, DSCS 116 etc.
This rack is the TESSELATOR 8000 and the entire rack can be replaced by a PC with the TessEm8000 software product installed!
The PC will still use CCITT X.25/2 LAPB communication with the rack 2, the DSCS 116 board.
Rack 2 (lower) contains boards like DSPC 171, DSCA 114, DSMC 112, DSCA 125 (Master Bus 200), DSCS 140 (Master Bus 300) etc must still be used for the communication with the process equipments!
- Price, orders and delivery time for the TessEm products?
The following versions of the software product TessEm are now released:
- TessEm7000 version 2.2.0
- TessEm8000 version 1.0.0
The delivery time is normally less than 2 weeks.
For price and orders please contact us, see information in the Contact section.
- Which part of the automation system is the DDR replacing?
The DDR unit replaces the old 5.25" floppy disk drives, DSMD 113 and DSMD 110, in ABB Master automation systems.
The original floppy disk controller card, such as DSMC 110/111/112, is kept in the system.
An installed DDR unit will be handled as a normal floppy disk drive by the automation system software.
The following types of DDR units are available:
- The NDDD 001 replaces the floppy disk drive DSMD 113, the entire circuit board, used in 19" rack based system for example MasterView 850.
- The NDDD 002 replaces the floppy disk drive DSMD 113 used in small cabinet system for example MasterView 810/830.
- The NDDD 003 replaces the floppy disk drive DSMD 110, the entire circuit board, used in 19" rack based system for example MasterPiece 200 and TESSELATOR 8400.
- The NDDD 004 replaces the floppy disk drive DSMD 110 used in for example MasterPiece 200.
- How many floppy disks can be stored on a SD memory card?
The DDR unit uses 2 Gbyte SD memory cards with the capacity of storing data corresponding to a maximum of 200 diskettes (1.44 MB format).
The unit uses built-in buttons on the front of the unit to change the "active floppy disk", which is indicated on a display on the front.
- Can any type of memory cards be used in the DDR unit?
The DDR unit can only use pre-formatted 2 Gbyte SD memory cards ordered from us (part no. 900061).
The SD card is formatted with the capacity of storing data corresponding to a maximum of 200 diskettes (1.44 MB format).
The SD card cannot be read directly by any PC, because there is no file system present on the card.
NOTE: Each DDR unit is delivered with one (1) SD memory card. Additional cards can be ordered from us.
- I want to store the MasterView system software on a server? What to do?
After that the system software has been transfer to a SD memory card, used by the DDR unit,
our PC software product SDBackup allows easy backups of the SD memory card directly to any PC hard drive or server.
The software product SDBackup works with any PC compatible SD card device handling 2 Gbyte SD memory card on
Microsoft Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000. The product is available as an option and can be ordered from us.
- Price, orders and delivery time for the DDR products?
The delivery time is normally less than 2 weeks.
For price and order please contact us, see information in the Contact section.